March 3, 2009 in General, International, News, Pastoral
- Rugby updates: Coláiste Iognáid (pictured here) beat Marist College, Athlone, 23-11 in the semi-final of the Conanught Cup. Clongowes JCT, tipped as favourites, lost to St Michael’s 14-15. Belvedere SCT lost to Blackrock 12-16.
- On 4 March Pat Coyle, Manager of the Jesuit Communication Centre, will be speaking on ‘Addiction in the family’ as part of a week of Lenten talks in Borrisokane/Aglish parish.
- On Saturday, 14 March, the Ballymun Gospel Choir will give a concert in St Ann’s church, Dawson Street. Doors open at 7.30pm and the concert will start at 8.00.
- Michael O’Sullivan SJ chaired the Dublin launch of the Spiritual Capital Research Centre, which aims to raise awareness of spiritual capital and the resources in Christian spirituality and the academic study of such spirituality for engaging diverse challenges in contemporary social life in a positively transformative manner. The Centre team is now seeking sponsorship for its work.
- Every year the Jesuit Parish of Farm Street in London holds a special Mass on 31 July, and invites all those alumni of Jesuit schools, colleges and universities across the globe who are in London on that day. Following the Mass, there is a reception in Mount Street Gardens beside the Church – a great chance for alumni to meet with fellow alums as well as old school friends. In 2008 close to 500 people attended, and there is room for more.
- Galway City Mayor, Padraig Conneely, officially launched the Jes Transition Year Bank project on Thur 26 Feb. A group of Transition Year students worked with Noreen Conway of AIB Bank to come up with their own school bank where they will learn the skills of lending and managing money.
- World renowned Benedictine monk Laurence Freeman OSB will give a talk to young adults on Christian meditation in the tradition of John Main OSB, a Benedictine who presented a way of meditating through the practice of a prayer-phrase. Slí Eile are co-running the event, which will take place in Gardiner Street Church on Friday 13 March at 8.00pm. For more details, contact Padraig Swan.
FR PROVINCIAL’S DIARY
3-5 March: Meetings